Are you a newbie blogger finding a niche?
How to find a niche to blog about is the crucial issue for every newbie blogger.
A niche is a targeted segment in the market for the online entrepreneurs to make money with their blog or online store.
You can make money with each one of those, however, not all the niche is the same.
Some are COMPETITIVE which means it will be harder for you to make money with it.
Some are TOO NARROW that you can hardly make that much money than others.
As a result, it’s vital to know how to pick up a suitable niche for you to get your online business rolling.
Learn more about how to pick up a great niche for you to start making money blogging RIGHT NOW!
In How To Find A Niche To Blog About, I’ll walk you through:
- How To Come Up With Niche Ideas?
- EVERGREEN Or Not?
- PROFITABLE Or Not?
- COMPETITIVE Or Not?
- Small Pound OR Big Ocean?
How To Come Up With Niche Ideas?
Everything starts with an IDEA. Think of some ideas with the practice and recourse below!
Methods to help you think of niche ideas:
- A helpful recourse everyone knows but forget
- Trend Hunter
Brainstorming is a practice to find out more ideas with your brain.
Now, take out a piece of paper and pen. Or, you can operate it with some FREE mind map tools such as Bubbl.us to record your ideas.
Next, think of the questions below and put the ideas you can think of on the paper or format like the picture under the brainstorming.
Think as much as you can.
- What conversation do you like to talk about?
- What do you like to do? What do you need to do those things?
- What are you good at?
- What is your interest? (you can have more than one)
- What’s your passion?
- What do you usually pay attention to?
- What do you care the most?
Now, you should have some topic idea on the paper such as some broad ideas like sport, gardening, health or narrower ones like swimming, dog petting, girl dressing, etc.
Congratulations!! You cross a huge step!
Next, I’m gonna guide you step by step in the following few sections to check if these are good ideas to pick up as your blog niche.
A Helpful Recourse Everyone Knows But FORGET
Whether taking a look at the book store around your house or at some online platform of selling magazines, it’s a great way to think of ideas.
Cruising E-commerce Store
If you still get stuck in finding ideas or wanna get more. Then, cruising around e-commerce stores is a brilliant way to do so.
How to find ideas on the e-commerce store
Go to the Department on Amazon, there bunch of niche ideas waiting for you to pick up!!!
You can have a general idea about the niche. Or, click into the categories to dive deeper.
Trend Hunter, a great recourse to looking more ideas or to dig ideas deeper, is the world’s largest and most popular trend community.
What I like about Trend Hunter is that it shows the demographics in the trend. You can have a general idea about who might be your targeting audience, where do they locate and sort of things.
- Quick note: If you can not find products or too much-related stuff in Trend Hunter. Then it might be the sign that it’s not a good idea to move on with this niche idea. For example, you can’t find any related result about “ho model trains”.
- Cruising around Trend Hunter with the ideas you come up within the previous brainstorm practice.
Let’s say you are interested in the niche of pet. You can find the niche in the pet niche such as dog, dog toys or dog bed. Inside of Trend Hunter, you can come up with lots of new ideas and also have a quick understanding of this niche.
- Dive deeper to see what might be the niche and what you are interested in.
Let me jump into the niche of “pet camera” and give a quick scan about it. You can see that there are smart pet cameras, connected pet cameras, and blah blah blah… These articles might help you to think of more ideas or dig your idea deeper.
- The demographics of the trend in a particular niche.
With the demographics and data on the search page, it would be easier for you to make some decision whether to pick up the niche or not.
EVERGREEN Or Not?
What is an evergreen niche?
An evergreen niche is something that going to last or not becoming out of style or outdated.
The point is if you think about anything you put on or in your body then that can be considered to be an evergreen niche.
Or, the hobby based stuff such as money, internet, art can be considered an evergreen one.
For instance, food, we always need food.
Internet, people can hardly make a living without the Internet.
These kinds of the evergreen niche are better to select as yours since you can manage it longer and don’t worry about out dating or going decline.
Common Human Sense
The things might not be evergreen would be some personal taste.
Are the niche ideas we have right now are your taste?
- The niche idea with a trend like this can be an evergreen niche.
The trend above has a rising pattern which is a good one to pick up as your niche ideas.
To see the niche idea in the long term, setting up the time zone for at least a few years to see how’s the trend going.
- Those with trends like this pattern can be considered a declining niche.
I set up the time from 2004 to now. As you can see, it is a niche declining dramatically.
- It is fine to pick up the declining niche. But you might not make that much money or be that successful in these niches.
PROFITABLE Or Not?
If you want to make more money in your blog, the niche MATTERS.
Let’s dive into some methods and choose a profitable one NOW!!
- Google Trends
- With ads or not?
- Good pricing?
- Good commission?
Google Trends can help you to filter out the better profit niche ideas and kick out those with less profit and out dating one.
- Kick out the out dating niche or the one with less potential.
- Pick the better one and have a quick understanding of it.
- Dig deeper in the related search. Pick up the one with soring trend or anyone you like as niche keyword.
The idea with the declining trend doesn’t mean that you can’t make money with it, Google Trends is just giving you a brief understanding of those ideas.
You can make double-check with the following methods.
With Ads Or Not?
Ads are always a good sign for commercial and profit intent.
- In the SERP?
If you can find ads on the search engine result page, that is a good sign to tell you it’s a profitable niche to pick up.
- In Magazine?
If a topic has magazines available for sale then you know it’s going to be profitable. Big publications don’t print magazines in unprofitable niches. Also, those products or service with ads in the magazine means that it has more profit potential
Look at e-commerce stores such as Amazon, eBay, and Etsy.
If you are in a niche with the higher-price product, it’s easier for you to make more money or you can make money in less effort.
For example, the price for luxury dog bed costs an average $100 for each sale you make while chocolate bar only costs the buyers $10 or even less.
You see that not the price matters.
But it doesn’t mean that you can’t pick up the food niche. You can still make money with it but maybe it will take you more effort to make more money in the niche.
Don’t worry about too much pricing, it’s just a method helping you to make the decision.
This step is vital for those who want to make money with affiliate marketing.
Look at the internet if there are affiliate programs in your niche ideas.
If NO, it might not be a good idea to move forward with the particular niche.
If YES, do further research to see if there is a high commission in those affiliate program
- High-profit niche: High price + More products + More affiliate program + High commission
- Low-profit niche: Low price + Fewer products + Less affiliate program + Low commission
You can have a quick understanding of how much profit a blog in your niche would be and how long does it take to make that much money on Flippa.
- Key in the topics you like and set up your request.
- Get a general idea about the profit
- Take a look at the site you are interested in
Type the URL of the website you are interested in.
Take a look at the website. Have a brief understanding of it.
COMPETITIVE Or Not?
When it comes to finding a niche with low competition, you need to go back down to the earth and have some niche keywords on your hands to rank for.
And then I will take you to the next step to tell whether there are strong authorities or not.
Before we get started, prepare a list of keywords and let’s jump in right now!!!
- Keyword research tool
- Google alphabet soup
- Keyword Everywhere
- Can you outrank those blogs?
Keywords Everywhere is a recourse to do research on search volume, CPC and competition. You can install it for FREE.
- Sign up
- Confirm the email and get the API
- Set up the API
Copy the API key and press “setting”.
- Paste the API key to the blank area.
Next, we are going to find some potential keywords by using Google alphabet soup with Keywords Everywhere.
Google alphabet soup
- Using Google alphabet soup to collect possible keywords.
1. Key in the niche keywords on Google search engine.
2. Type from the letter “ a “ to “ z “ in the keyword.
- Put them on the list
1. You can see there are data of search volume, CPC and competition in the back of each keyword. Pick up those you want and do further research.
2. You can see the keywords bar in the right of the web page.
3. Collect those keywords you like on the list.
- Search Volume is the total searches for this keyword per month over the last 12 months.
- CPC is the amount that advertisers are paying for a single click for this keyword in Google AdWords.
- Competition is the number of advertisers that are running ads for this specific keyword. The number goes from 0 to 1, with lower values signifying less number of advertisers and higher values signifying more advertisers.
Jaaxy Keyword Tool
Jaaxy is a great keyword research tool to check niche keyword ideas with lower competition and better search volume.
- Research the keywords on the list
- Find out the niche keywords having great potential and save to list
Pick up the keywords with Avg > 100, QSR <100, KQI = Great, SEO > 90
- Put them on the list inside Jaaxy
Can I Outrank Those blogs?
let me show you a powerful FREE tool to find out if you can outrank or not!
- Install Moz
1. Install Moz
2. Click the icon of Moz
3. The data will show up.
- Page Authority (PA) is to predict the ability for a specific page to rank in search engines. Page authority uses a 0 to 100 logarithmic scale. A high Page authority score means your page has the potential to rank well in search engine results.
- Domain Authority (DA) is a search engine ranking score that predicts how well a website will rank on search engine result pages (SERPs). The score ranges from one to 100, with higher scores corresponding to a greater ability to rank.
- Research the keywords on the Jaaxy list.
1. Pick up the keywords
2. Research on Google search engine.
- PA < 30 means that it is easier for newbie bloggers to outrank them.
The Final Filter
We finish the journey of finding a niche.
However, some people might still have several niche ideas on their hands and couldn’t make a choice.
If so, here are some final tips for you to pick it up.
The niche you are going to have is the topic along with in the next few months or even years.
Keep in mind if you find some ideas for your niche. You have to be actively interested in that niche. Or, you have a passion for that one.
I see people instinctively pick up the niche that cost lots of money.
If the product of the niche is the high-value product, but then you don’t have passion for the product or the niche itself then you would feel like a JOB.
Do you want your affiliate blog like a JOB?
You want to have fun and also make money with it right?
Then the last thing is whether the niche is your profession or not.
You’d better have both passion and profession in the niche.
If not, it might take you a long time to learn and do research in the niche which is not your profession.
Sandy’s HINT The final tips on How To Find A Niche To Blog About
- Selection priority
Personal Intent: Interest / Passion + Profession > Interest / Passion > Profession (JOB)
Commercial Intent: Evergreen + profitable + Low competition niche > Evergreen / Profitable / Low competition niche
Personal Intent > Commercial Intent
Small Pound OR Big Ocean?
Should I pick up a narrow or a broad niche?
Well, it’s a choice to being a big fish in a small pond or a small fish in a big ocean.
It’s up to you.
You can be easier to dominate the narrow niche but has not that much profit.
Or, you choose to compete in a niche with lots of people but has a much higher profit.
But I can tell you that if you keep putting the effort in whatever niche, you would finally get success.
It’s all about time and how much hard work you can do for it.
“ People NEVER fail in internet marketing, they just GIVE UP before the magic happens.”
Keep CONSISTENT and you will get success and make money!
Would You Like To Be A Big Fish In Small Pound Or A Small Fish In Big Ocean?
Share your answer with me below!!
Or, if you have any further question about how to find a niche to blog about, please feel free to contact me or ask your questions below!!
If you LIKE this post, please LEAVE A COMMENT, SHARE and TAKE ACTION!!!